Remember that feeling when you move into a new place and realize you have nothing in your fridge? Not even staples like salt, pepper, butter, eggs. I remember when I first moved into my own apartment by myself I realized I didn’t have ketchup. I am not a huge ketchup user, but I had a friend in town and had cooked some type of frozen breakfast bites (shows my cooking skills) that required ketchup and it was never the same. Here on out, I always make sure to buy the “staples” everytime we move.
Now that I am lucky enough to live with a selfproclaimed chef, our list of “staples” has graduated from salt and ketchup. To be honest, Preston is sitting here cringing that I was making frozen breakfast bites for a house guest. We recommend having these on hand if you are learning to cook, trying new recipes, hosting a dinner party, or last minute meal prep for the family. I also use several of these ingredients for “green cleaning.” Below are the Preston approved Pantry Must Haves to always keep on hand that can be used for multiple recipes that we will share:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Lemons and Limes
- Butter (or ghee if you are palio)
- Chicken Stock
- Brussel Sprouts
- Lettuce (and or spinach). We love living lettuce because it lasts forever!
- Chicken (we recommend buying a whole chicken from the butcher-more details coming soon)
- Seasoning Spice. One of our go to spices is Tony Chachere’s
- Dijon Mustard
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Coconut Milk
- Rice. Our favorite is Basmati
- Topo Chico (or any other sparkeling water!)
- Beer and or wine (we love French wine as Preston is French!)
We use these ingredients to make cocktails (no I do not mean just pouring yourself a glass of wine!), soups, salads, entrees, and cleaning supplies!